191 Nonotuck Street, was built by fugitive slave Basil Dorsey in 1849. He sold the house in 1852, moving to 4 Florence Road (#4 on this map). The fugitive slave Thomas H. Jones, who had written a popular slave narrative in 1850, bought the house in 1854, lived here until 1859, moved to Worcester, and then settled in New Bedford. The house was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2006. In 1850, Florence was home to 60 African Americans, 10% of the local population.