Congregational Church & Pine Grove

In the shade of a 150-foot tall pine tree, the abolitionists of Florence held their meetings.

BACK TO MAP→

NEXT STOP→

 

Florence Congregational

The Florence Congregational Church, across from the Sojourner Truth Memorial Statue was founded in 1860 by J. P. Williston and others from First Church in Northampton. UGRR agent Moses Breck, was the builder. Behind the Cloverdale Nursery School is the “Pine Grove” where members of the NAEI and visitors like Frederick Douglass, William Lloyd Garrison, and Wendell Phillips spoke beneath an old growth pine, 150 feet tall.

 

NEXT STOP→

BACK TO MAP→

The Sojourner Truth Memorial Committee is a 501(c)3 organization ("Committee for Northampton, Inc"); EIN 22-3529750.